World Religions From A Zimbabwean Perspective: A Cross Cutting Approach To Understanding The Religious Phenomena
In his theory of religion, Durkheim highlights that people often tend to split the religious objects, rituals and symbols that are considered sacred, from the everyday routines, objects and symbols of existence, which are considered irreligious (Lemert 2006). This is because the religious objects are usually considered to posses some divine properties that differentiate them from the irreligious objects. This is also applies to the more-advanced cultures considering the fact that certain objects are often viewed to be sacred objects possessing some sense of awe and reverence, even though there is no proof that such objects possess some kind of special power. Durkheim believes that the source of all religions is society (Pickering, 1975). All known religious beliefs have a common characteristic that they define all the things in two distinct categories, ideal and real, generally designated by the words sacred and profane (Lemert 2006). Thereby, the essence of religion is formed by the sacred aspects of social reality (i.e., held in a separate and considered prohibited). To glorify the things that the sacred creates attitudes and behaviors such as respect, mystery and fear.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Createspace Independent Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781544810638
- ISBN: 1544810636
- Publication Year: 2017