World Religions From A Zimbabwean Perspective: A Cross Cutting Approach To Understanding The Religious Phenomena
In his theory of religion, Durkheim highlights that people often tend to split the religious objects, rituals and symbols that are considered sacred, from the everyday routines, objects and symbols of existence, which are considered irreligious (Lemert 2006). This is because the religious objects are usually considered to posses some divine properties that differentiate them from the irreligious objects. This is also applies to the more-advanced cultures considering the fact that certain objects are often viewed to be sacred objects possessing some sense of awe and reverence, even though there is no proof that such objects possess some kind of special power. Durkheim believes that the source of all religions is society (Pickering, 1975). All known religious beliefs have a common characteristic that they define all the things in two distinct categories, ideal and real, generally designated by the words sacred and profane (Lemert 2006). Thereby, the essence of religion is formed by the sacred aspects of social reality (i.e., held in a separate and considered prohibited). To glorify the things that the sacred creates attitudes and behaviors such as respect, mystery and fear.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Createspace Independent Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781544810638
- ISBN: 1544810636
- Publication Year: 2017