Women And Arthurian Literature: Seizing The Sword
This is the first full-length study to explore the roles of women in Arthurian literature, from the medieval period, through the Renaissance and Victorian ages, to contemporary fiction. Covering the key Arthurian texts, such as Chaucer's Wife of Bath's Tale, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Malory's Morte Darthur, Spenser's The Faerie Queene and Tennyson's Idylls, it also investigates the less well-known works by women, Lady Charlotte Guest's Mabinogion, Julia Margaret Cameron's illustrations to Tennyson's works and, finally, the Arthurian women writers of the twentieth century, Mary Stewart, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Jane Yolen.The relationships between men and women, the Arthurian knights and ladies, are discussed to discover whether female identity was inevitably circumscribed by the romances, or whether the writing interacted with historical conditions to produce several alternative roles. Ultimately, Marion Wynne-Davies asks whether it has ever been possible for women to write Arthurian literature and so to 'seize the sword'.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- ISBN-13: 9780312160470
- ISBN: 031216047X
- Publication Year: 1996