Wild Horse Annie: Friend Of The Mustangs
Wild Horse Annie was the nickname of Velma Bronn Johnston (1912 77), loved mustangs all her life. When she saw mustangs being rounded up and killed to make room for ranchers livestock, she knew she had to speak up. In 1950, she began writing letters to local newspapers and politicians, defending the horses' right to raom free. Many people told Annie to hush up, but they couldn t stop her. She soon became a voice for mustangs throughout the state of Nevada, speaking on their behalf at town halls and meetings.But Annie was only one person, and she wanted to do more. So she got children to speak up, too, by having them write letters to Washington, D.C., officials to ask them to save the mustangs. Finally, with the help of her young pencil brigade, Annie persuaded Congress to pass nationwide laws protecting wild horses and burros on public land nationwide.Readers will find inspiration in this portrait of an early animal-rights advocate, who spoke up for what she believed in, and empowered a generation of children to be a voice for the voiceless.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: School And Library
- Sold by: HPB Greenbriar
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Farrar Straus & Giroux
- ISBN-13: 9780374303068
- ISBN: 0374303061
- Publication Year: 2019