Warren Mackenzie: An American Potter
This book is a journey through the life and work of a great American craftsman, an account of his vision and struggle. Warren MacKenzie has spent his life extending a craft tradition that draws inspiration from the great potter Bernard Leach in Britain, the mingei movement of postwar Japan, and traditional American crafts. His work - exhibited in major museums across the United States and featured in art publications throughout the world - represents a successful pioneering effort to establish contemporary craft as a form of expression equal to any of the fine arts.Through the lucid prose of David Lewis and the stunning photography of Peter Lee we enter into the inner sanctum of the artist's life. We are there during the inspirational years of his apprenticeship with Bernard Leach in Cornwall. We are there in his workshop in Minnesota, watching as he brings a ball of clay to life, spins a shapeless wet mass into a glistening tower of a vase. We are there in his home as the artist succinctly places pottery - and indeed, the whole array of hand-made objects - into a new and meaningful context for the nineties.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Kodansha USA Inc
- ISBN-13: 9784770019912
- ISBN: 4770019912
- Publication Year: 1995
- Edition: REV UPD