Verdi: Giovanna D'arco
An early work from 1845, Giuseppe Verdi's Giovanna d'Arco (Joan of Arc) is one of his least known operas. Despite great popularity in its time, its reputation has suffered over the years, due to negative critical assessments, changes in public taste, and fewer and fewer performances. However, because this 2014 Deutsche Grammophon recording features two of opera's greatest stars -- Anna Netrebko as the warrior heroine, and Pl?cido Domingo, singing the baritone role of her father, Giacomo -- it is sure to gain much more attention. In 2013, Netrebko and Domingo performed this opera at the Salzburg Festival, and this live recording with the Munich Radio Orchestra under Paolo Carignani documents the concert presentation. Netrebko is in top form as the maid of Orl?ans, singing with full power and exquisite expressive control, and Domingo matches her throughout, with an agonized performance that is well suited to the melodramatic side of Verdi. But musically, this opera is not convincing because of its uneven...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: DG Deutsche Grammophon (USA)
- UPC: 028947927129