Tranquility Grove: The Great Abolitionist Picnic Of 1844
Tranquility Grove: The Great Abolitionist Picnic of 1844 tells the story of an important event that took place in Hingham, Massachusetts. Attended by as many as 10,000 people, the largest abolitionist picnic in history marked the tenth anniversary of the end of slavery in the British West Indies. For abolitionists, celebrating the emancipation of West Indian slaves on August 1 was even more important than commemorating the 4th of July. Newspapers described the preparations, participants, and events, from the parade to the speeches, to the unexpected overnight grounding of the steamship taking the Suffolk and Essex County delegates home. Frederick Douglass was there, and former President and Congressman John Quincy Adams sent remarks. Tranquility Grove is a trove of information, right down to the question of where delegates and participants left their horses. It also discusses other abolitionist memorials and suggests how Tranquility Grove can be better maintained and interpreted in the future as a significant nineteenth-century historic site.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: America Through Time
- ISBN-13: 9781634990790
- ISBN: 163499079X
- Publication Year: 2018