Timeless Wisdom: What Irish Proverbs Tell Us About Ourselves
What can we learn from the folk wisdom of our ancestors? For centuries, Irish proverbs or seanfhocail have provided memorable insights into everyday experiences such as love, marriage, happiness and death. In doing so, they give us a unique insight into human nature as well as an understanding of the lives and outlook of our forebears. But is such "timeless wisdom" still relevant in the modern world - or merely the dying echo of a bygone era? In this fascinating book, Aidan Moran and Michael O'Connell reflect on this question and provide a systematic exploration of the psychology of Irish proverbs. In particular, the authors examine a wealth of Irish wisdom about food, drink, weather, money, markets, land, health, happiness, love, marriage and death - all the essentials of life! Thoroughly researched and written in a lively, accessible style, the book is enriched by a selection of beautiful photographs. Often provocative, sometimes witty but never dull, these proverbs will encourage you to slow down and look at the world in a different way. This book is an essential purchase for students of Irish society, people who share a love of folklore, and anyone who is interested in learning more about the meaning and significance of Irish proverbs.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ College Dublin Pr
- ISBN-13: 9781904558811
- ISBN: 190455881X
- Publication Year: 2007