Ticket To The Moon
Aston Villa's 1982 European Cup win in many ways was the most romantic in football history. And yet, set against the backdrop of English dominance in the competition it is widely a forgotten achievement. Having achieved promotion seven years earlier under the club's iconic manager Ron Saunders, Villa became unlikely First Division champions in 1981. With steady progression being made in the European Cup the following season, Saunders resigned suddenly and shockingly, citing a lack of support from the board and a lack of investment in a team he wanted to improve. Though Villa would proceed to the final and ultimately surprise Bayern Munich under the guidance of Tony Barton, the club would quickly slide back into the Second Division. For the first time, journalist and author Richard Sydenham details Villa's improbable rise and then its sharp, dramatic fall through exclusive testimonies from the big movers and shakers: the managers, players and chairmen, including the notorious Deadly Doug Ellis. By taking readers inside the boardroom, revealing through minutes who said what to whom at key meetings, Sydenham paints a vivid portrayal that covers more than 20-years of turbulent Midland football history.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Trade Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: --
- Publisher: Decoubertin Books
- ISBN-13: 9781909245761
- ISBN: 1909245763
- Publication Year: 2019