Throw Me To The Wolves
From the Man Booker Prize-longlisted novelist, a shocking story of voyeurism, betrayal, and the gray areas between truth and fiction that reflects our era of tabloid media and fake news. In the aftermath of Brexit, the body of a young woman is found by the river Thames, and the tabloids are aflame, accusing Mr. Wolphram, the woman's former teacher and the ultimate media quarry: mysterious, friendless, and eccentric. Charged with investigating this crime is Ander, once a student of Mr. Wolphram's. As he interviews pupils who both defend and defame their oddball teacher, he must face a story from decades back that he has tried hard to forget. Ander recalls his best friend Danny, who disappeared from their elite English boarding school--a place of routine physical and psychological abuse--at the peak of IRA terror. In the midst of the present murder investigation, racked by suppressed memories, he also discovers something vital about Mr. Wolphram's true character. Combining the momentum of classic crime fiction with the emotional depth of literary fiction, Throw Me to the Wolves explores the harrowing power of the modern media spectacle to distract from acts of ordinary violence, and the power of the ever-present newsfeed to drown out the boundary between truth and fiction. Faced with Wolphram's case, Ander must turn to his own memory, which proves the ultimate source of both mystery and revelation.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: HPB Ross Township
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Pub Plc USA
- ISBN-13: 9781620401514
- ISBN: 1620401517
- Publication Year: 2019