The Unveiling Of Polly Forrest: A Mystery
Rural Michigan, 1934. During the throes of the Great Depression Polly marries for money. After her husband Sam dies in a freak farm accident, new bride Polly assumes she is financially set to pursue her dream of opening a hat-making business. Instead, she becomes the prime suspect in Sam's murder. Secrets abound and even Polly's family can't figure out the truth. Narrated by Polly, her self-righteous older sister, Sarah, and Sarah's well-meaning, but flawed husband, Wesley, a Methodist minister, the story follows several twists through the landscape of the rural Midwest. Each narrator has a strong compelling voice. Polly's early letters to her mother both reveal and hide her naivete, her fears, and her dreams. Sarah, the responsible but judgmental older sister is both caring and critical. Wesley, is dedicated to his calling and his parishioners, but his weaknesses are prominent. The deep despair of the Depression in a rural community frames the backdrop of this compelling mystery with vivid descriptions of homemaking, farming, and church activities. Animals play an important role in the narrative including Polly's dog, horses, chickens, and cows. As Polly develops insight and courage to face her trials, sibling rivalry, family secrets, and idiosyncratic characters are all revealed. The unveiling of these long-held secrets and the compelling mystery make for a thrilling read.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Trade Paperback
- Sold by: HPB St Louis Park
- Seller rating:
- Language: --
- Publisher: Lake William Press
- ISBN-13: 9798985160109
- Publication Year: 2022