The Teaching Of English: From The Sixteenth Century To 1870
For the first time textbooks and other educational writings published in England and America in the three centuries before the 'modern' phase of English teaching (about 1700 volumes in all) have been subject to a detailed and scholarly examination. Most of the American material will be new to readers outside the United States and much of it is little known there. The writings vividly demonstrate the development of English as a teaching subject: when its varied components were first taught, by what kinds of teachers, with what intentions and by what methods. Ian Michael has made a major contribution to the history of education and of literacy, and of English in particular. Not only academic educationalists interested in the history of the curriculum, but teachers - from primary schools to university - who want to investigate the historical background of their subject and discover how their forerunners taught - will find this book of compelling interest.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Cambridge Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780521023382
- ISBN: 0521023386
- Publication Year: 2005