The Royal Ordnance Factory At Hayes: The Story Of A World War Ii Gun And Tank Factory At Hayes In The London Borough Of Hillingdon
This is the fascinating story of a World War II tank and gun factory in west London. Using wartime documents, specially commissioned architectural photographs and - most importantly - the recollections of some of the factory's workers, the book aims to tell the little-known story of how ROF Hayes played its part in the war effort. The story of the home front has often been overshadowed by the story of great leaders and dramatic battles in histories of World War II, but this book aims to shed light on the important contribution of the Royal Ordnance Factories, and to show how the workers of ROF Hayes helped to win the Battle of Normandy in 1944 with the Sherman Firefly tank.After the war, ROF Hayes became a high security government records centre and so, most unusually, all the wartime buildings survived intact. Today, ROF Hayes has become ProLogis Park Heathrow, a major international freight and cargo hub, and an important local employer.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: David Brown Book Co
- ISBN-13: 9781901992885
- ISBN: 1901992888
- Publication Year: 2011