The Jockey Club Collection: A Catalogue And The Story Of Its Creation Over Three Centuries
The Jockey Club and its remarkable collection are part of racing's heritage. Assembled over three centuries, the collection contains some of the best racing art in existence including paintings by George Stubbs, J.F. Herring, and Sir Alfred Munnings among many works by lesser artists. Taken as a whole the contents of the Club's premises in Newmarket are enough to fascinate anyone with even a passing interest in sporting pictures or racing. This catalogue much extends the previous one privately published in 2006; in this new publication all works are illustrated and arranged alphabetically by artist with short biographies. There are some 50 additions of which the most important are a particularly fine painting by John Ferneley and a portrait of The Queen with her Ascot Gold Cup winner, Estimate. The accompanying text by David Oldrey, the pre-eminent authority on racing art, provides detailed information about the works themselves and about the horses, owners, trainers and jockeys depicted.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Philip Wilson Pub Ltd
- ISBN-13: 9781781300688
- ISBN: 1781300682
- Publication Year: 2019