The James Stuart Archive: Of Recorded Oral Evidence Relating To The History Of The Zulu And Neighbouring Peoples
This multi-volume series is an indispensable research tool for scholars working on the history and ethnography of the Zulu kingdom and neighbouring states. James Stuart was an official in the Natal colonial civil service in the 1890s and early years of the twentieth century. In meticulously recorded interviews with hundreds of informants, the great majority of them Africans, he assembled a vast and unique collection of notes on the traditions and customs of the Zulu and neighbouring peoples. Volume 5 contains statements from another 40 of the informants whom Stuart interviewed in the first quarter of the 20th century. Among the most important of these are: Ngidi kaMcikaziswa, who gave Stuart a great deal of information on the Zulu King Shaka from the perspective of the Langeni, the people of Shaka's mother; Qalizwe, who provided Stuart with a number of brief but fascinating statements on prostitution and homosexuality among Africans in the towns of Natal; and Pixley Seme, a founder of the South African Native National Congress (later the ANC) in 1912, who was interviewed by Stuart in London in 1925 on historical and social issues.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Kwazulu-Natal Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780869805282
- ISBN: 0869805282
- Publication Year: 1986