The James Stuart Archive: Of Recorded Oral Evidence Relating To The History Of The Zulu And Neighbouring Peoples
This multi-volume series is an indispensable research tool for scholars working on the history and ethnography of the Zulu kingdom and neighbouring states. James Stuart was an official in the Natal colonial civil service in the 1890s and early years of the twentieth century. In meticulously recorded interviews with hundreds of informants, the great majority of them Africans, he assembled a vast and unique collection of notes on the traditions and customs of the Zulu and neighbouring peoples. Volume 5 contains statements from another 40 of the informants whom Stuart interviewed in the first quarter of the 20th century. Among the most important of these are: Ngidi kaMcikaziswa, who gave Stuart a great deal of information on the Zulu King Shaka from the perspective of the Langeni, the people of Shaka's mother; Qalizwe, who provided Stuart with a number of brief but fascinating statements on prostitution and homosexuality among Africans in the towns of Natal; and Pixley Seme, a founder of the South African Native National Congress (later the ANC) in 1912, who was interviewed by Stuart in London in 1925 on historical and social issues.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Kwazulu-Natal Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780869805282
- ISBN: 0869805282
- Publication Year: 1986