The Fall And The Heart
"The Fall and the Heart" by S. Rukiah is one of the lesser known classics of the Indonesian revolutionary era and arguably the strongest piece of prose writing by an Indonesian woman author before the 1970s. Rukiah's account of a young, middle-class womans's experiences with her lover, her family, and the struggle for independence is deceptive in its simplicity and through "The Fall and the Heart" Rukiah presents a rare and thoughtful rendition of the idea and emotions of young people who had one foot in the revolution for its own sake and the other foot in the revolution as a reflection of personal crisis. The novella depicts and interweaves the stories of an individual fate and a family history more believably than any other work of its time. Rukiah is one of only a handful of Indonesian writers to have looked at the negative impact that the Indonesian revolution had on lives and relationships.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Lontar Fndtn
- ISBN-13: 9789798083778
- ISBN: 9798083776
- Publication Year: 2010