The Brigidine Sisters In Ireland, America, Australia And New Zealand, 1807 1922
This account of the Brigidines, formally known as the Sisters of St Brigid, expands the current knowledge of the congregation and its mission to the rural communities of Ireland, America, Australia and New Zealand. It compares the religious order to similar female congregations, and throws new light on Bishop Daniel Delany of Kildare and Leighlin who founded the Brigidines in 1807. His motto - strength and gentleness - became the hallmark of Brigidine practice and service. The book highlights the lives, courage and spirit of adventure of many sisters, the hardships they endured, hidden from the public eye, and their significant achievements in education. Power's work contributes to not only a greater understanding of the religious life but also is an appreciation of the role and adaptability of female religious in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. It contains a prosopography of 697 nuns (1807-1922).
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Four Courts Pr Ltd
- ISBN-13: 9781846827396
- ISBN: 1846827396
- Publication Year: 2018