Street Corner Symphonies: The Complete Story Of Doo Wop, Vol. 5 (1953) [Digipak]
The fifth volume of Bear Family's doo wop history Street Corner Symphonies covers 1953, which very well may be the year the doo wop revolution truly began. Rock & roll was still a few years away but the hottest sides here -- including "Money Honey," Clyde McPhatter's debut with the Drifters that opens up this 32-track volume, but also the "5" Royales' "Too Much Lovin' (Much Too Much)" and the Checkers' swinging "White Cliffs of Dover" -- are certainly part of that Zeitgeist, rocking and rolling with gusto, the rhythms hitting hard and guitar adding grit. This new wave of vocal groups begins to dominate Vol. 5 -- their influence can even be heard on quieter sides, like the Prisonaires' gospel "Just Walkin' in the Rain" -- but there's still a preponderance of softer, sweeter tunes here. Yet even among these cuts a heavier gospel and R&B influence can be heard -- witness the slow, easy shuffle on the concluding cut, the Spiders' "You're the One" -- all pointing toward the revolution that is just on the horizon. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Bear Family Records (Germany)
- UPC: 4000127172839