Staged Seduction: Selling Dreams In A Tokyo Host Club
This manuscript provides a window into the Japanese nighttime bars where male hosts seduce their female clients and entice them to spend money. It attempts to answer questions such as: what happens when women are the financial providers and men are the paid seducers? How do they communicate when women want to be seduced but cannot say so? What is it like to be in a commodified form of romance? Takeyama investigates various aspects of the host clubs including the host club as workplace, the hosts themselves, the women who frequent host clubs, the club managers, and the ethics of host club deception. Ultimately, the book provides readers with an extraordinary look into the dynamics of seduction, and the broader dynamics of the contemporary Japanese political economy.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Stanford Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780804791243
- ISBN: 0804791244
- Publication Year: 2016