Short Stories Old And New
Thrilling exploits, tales of mystery and ratiocination, enduring fables, and insightful dramas of the bustling modern city: all sit side-by-side in "Short Stories Old and New." In common to all is the mastery on display. This centuries-spanning collection, edited by C. Alphonso Smith, brings together the finest gems of the storyteller's art. Classics of New England are here, from Washington Irving's "Rip Van Winkle" and Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Great Stone Face." The taut realism of Bret Harte's California, in "The Outcasts of Poker Flat, the mystifications of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Gold Bug," and the perennially heart-warming "A Christmas Carol," by Charles Dickens, are set here alongside the finest from Rudyard Kipling, O. Henry, de Maupassant, and Robert Louis Stevenson -- and even ancient tales from the Old Testament and "The Arabian Nights."
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Lightning Source Inc
- ISBN-13: 9781606647424
- ISBN: 1606647423
- Publication Year: 2008