Gilbert & Sullivan: Ruddigore; The Merchant Of Venice Suite
Coming after the huge success of The Mikado, it was almost inevitable that the premiere of Gilbert and Sullivan's Ruddigore would fall short of the original audience's elevated expectations. It has never taken a place as one of the public's favorite Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, perhaps because of an ending that isn't fully realized. In spite of Gilbert's unusually scattered plot elements, Ruddigore is one of Sullivan's most sophisticated and varied scores. Its highlights include the memorably sinister "When the night wind howls," the wonderfully silly "I once was a very abandoned person," and the self-referentially mocking patter song "My eyes are fully open to my awful situation," a parody of a form that the pair had perfected and for which they were notorious, which concludes with the line "This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if is, it doesn't matter." The score is one of their most textually problematic; it went though various revisions, and it wasn't until...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Warner Classics (USA)
- UPC: 5099921345920