Revolt On Goose Island: The Chicago Factory Takeover, And What It Says About The Economic Crisis
Revised and updated, with a new afterword by the author There is much talk about audacity these days, but true chutzpah is when the workers take over the factory and take on the bank. Kari Lydersen's invaluable account of the Republic sit-down strike is an instruction manual for worker dignity. Mike Davis, author of Buda's Wagon and City of QuartzDecember 5, 2008: It wasn t supposed to work like this. Days after getting a $45 billion bailout from the U.S. government, Bank of America shut down a line of credit that kept Chicago's Republic Windows & Doors factory operating. The bosses, who knew what was coming, had been sneaking machinery out in the middle of the night. They closed the factory and sent the workers home.Then something surprising happened: Republic's workers occupied the factory and refused to leave.Kari Lydersen, an award-winning reporter, tells the story of the factory takeover, elegantly transforming the workers story into a parable of labor activism for the twenty-first century, one that concludes with a surprising and little-reported victory.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB Fort Wayne
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Melville House Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781933633824
- ISBN: 1933633824
- Publication Year: 2009