Renaissance Tales Of Desire: Hermaphroditus And Salmacis, Theseus And Ariadne, Ceyx And Alcione
This edition of three Ovidian tales translated and partly rewritten in the 1560s (Thomas Peend's "The Pleasant fable of Hermaphroditus and Salmacis", Thomas Underdowne's "The Excellent Historye of Theseus and Ariadne" and William Hubbard's "The Tragicall" and lamentable Histoire of two faithfull mates: Ceyx Kynge of Thracine and Alcione his wife) calls attention to the possible literary influence of such minor texts on later poets and playwrights like Marlowe and Shakespeare. Indeed, as narrative poems they deal with the popular themes of metamorphosis and desire. Even though they may well have been used as sources for such works as "Hero and Leander", "Venus and Adonis" or "A Midsummer Night's Dream", they have never been re-edited since the XVIth century. This volume may thus allow Renaissance scholars to rediscover the 'embarrassment of riches' of poems which provide us with new details, developments and perspectives about the original myths, thereby refashioning Ovid's stories in a typical Renaissance manner.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Cambridge Scholars Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781443814201
- ISBN: 1443814202
- Publication Year: 2009