Religious Art In France: The Late Middle Ages : A Study Of Medieval Iconography And Its Sources
This third volume turns to the late Middle Ages, when "the serene art of the 13th century was followed by the impassioned, sorrowful art of the 14th and 15th centuries." Confronted by Franciscan Christianity, painters and sculptors reacted to "poets who had the gift of tears," rather than to the "grave men nourished by doctrine" who had inspired artists of the 1200s. Viewing the reign of Charles VI as the beginning of the iconography of the late Middle Ages, M le focuses on the 15th century, but includes discussion of 16th-century works of art up to the final session of the Council of Trent in 1563.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Princeton Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780691099149
- ISBN: 0691099146
- Publication Year: 1987