Excerpt from Proprietors' Records of the Town of Waterbury, Connecticut: 1677-1761 In this its first printed book the Mattatuck Historical Society publishes certain ancient documents relating to the early history of the town of Waterbury, - originally known as Mattatuck. A brief reference to the early history will explain the origin of the documents and their relation to one another and thus place them in their proper historical setting. In October, 1673, a petition signed by twenty-six inhabitants of Farmington was presented to the General Court at Hartford, asking permission to "make a small plantation" at "a place called by the Indians Matitacoocke." The General Court, having been advised by men whom they had sent to "view those lands" that the place was a suitable one at which to begin a new settlement, granted the petition and appointed a committee of five persons "to regulate and order the settling of a plantation at Matitack." This committee, known afterwards as the "Committee for Mattatuck," or the "Grand Committee," had for its task as Doctor Henry Bronson describes it in his "History of Waterbury," "to make rules for the planters and prescribe the conditions of settlement," to act "as the temporary guardians and the fathers of the plantation, with all the power usually exercised by town authorities... in fact to found a town and organize it." About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.