Private Novels, Public Films
The modern association of the word private with the individual, and the word public with the social did not occur until the emergence of capitalism separated family life from the workplace, creating the fundamental oppositions between home and business, female and male, and rest and labor that have defined life in industrialized societies through our time. Comparing the ways novels and films articulate middle-class culture, Judith Mayne reveals how both forms of narrative function as an encounter between private and public life, engaging the crucial relationships of a dualistic world--between men and women; between social classes; between readers or viewers and texts. Unlike past studies of the novel and film that have tried to establish one art form as superior to the other or have limited their analysis to the ways that novels have been translated into film, Private Novels, Public Films is a comparative study of the relationship between two forms of narrative and spheres of private and public life across different periods of history.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ of Georgia Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780820341682
- ISBN: 0820341681
- Publication Year: 2016