Penrod And Sam
Directed by William Beaudine, Starring William Beaudine, Nestor Aber, Johnny Arthur, Wade Boteler, Cameo the Dog, Frank Coghlan, Betty Jane Graham, Leon Janney, Margaret Marquis, Matt Moore, Elizabeth Patterson, Dorothy Peterson, ZaSu Pitts, James Robinson, Charles Sellon, Billy LordWritten by William Beaudine, Nestor Aber, Johnny Arthur, Wade Boteler, Cameo the Dog, Frank Coghlan, Betty Jane Graham, Leon Janney, Margaret Marquis, Matt Moore, Elizabeth Patterson, Dorothy Peterson, ZaSu Pitts, James Robinson, Charles Sellon, Billy Lord
Previously filmed in 1923, Booth Tarkington's nostalgic novel Penrod and Sam made its first talking-picture appearance in 1931 (both versions were directed by William Beaudine). The title roles are essayed by two of the most talented and ubiquitous juvenile performers of the 1930s, Leon Janney and Junior Coughlan. As the organizers of a "secret" boys club, Penrod and Sam exclude the local "sissies" from membership, only to be forced to allow the obnoxious Rodney Bitts (Nestor Aber) to join when Rodney's father buys the land where the club is based. Beyond the expected "Our Gang"-style antics and pranks, there is a moment of almost unbearable pathos when Penrod is told that his beloved dog has been run over by a car. Burying the pooch near his clubhouse, Penrod is shooed off the property by Rodney's father, whereupon Penrod's dad purchases the land himself -- a turn of events that delights Penrod and Sam, but does not bode well for poor Rodney! Penrod and Sam was remade in 1937 as a vehicle for twin child stars Billy and Bobby Mauch. Hal Erickson, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: This movie is unopened and brand new.
- Fine/Like New (EX): Near new. No defects, little sign of use. Plays perfectly. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. No skipping; no fuzzy or snowy frames in VHS.
- Very Good (VG): Attractive and well cared for but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, but will play almost perfectly. For VHS: barely detectable distortion or very few fuzzy or snowy frames.
- Good (G): This item is in okay condition and basically works well. There may be some minor distortion on VHS tape; slight scratching or wear on DVD.
- Fair (FR): Basically plays, but may be obviously well-worn with some scratching or tape distortion.
- Poor (P): Disc or tape is intact, but may be scratched or stretched. There may be skips or distortion or product defects.
- Format: DVD
- Sold by: --
- Publisher: Warner Bros. Digital Dist
- UPC: 883316792148
- Region: Region [unknown]