On The Rock: The Acropolis Interviews
The marble workers laboring on the decades-long restoration of the Acropolis are the invisible force rebuilding one of the world's most storied monuments. Inheritors of a millennia-old tradition, few carvers exist today; fewer pass the Acropolis entrance exams. Their work is a highly technical, fascinating amalgam of past and present, yet what these master marble carvers do and how they do it was previously undocumented.As the Acropolis restoration enters its final phases in the midst of political and economic crises in Greece, this book of interviews (in English, with Greek translation) conducted by American artist Allyson Vieira presents the marble carvers' stories in their own words. The workers describe their craft, techniques, training and their specific roles in the restoration; and consider how the Greek crisis has changed the way they think about their jobs and their citizenship.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Soberscove Pr
- ISBN-13: 9781940190228
- ISBN: 1940190223
- Publication Year: 2019
- Edition: Bilingual