Music In Exile: Chamber Works By Paul Ben Haim
The Chandos label's Music in Exile series takes note of the centrality of exile in the lives of musicians of the 20th century. Paul Ben-Haim, born Paul Frankenburger in Germany, certainly fills the bill, having fled Nazi rule in 1933 and settled in what was then British Palestine. He later became a major figure in the Israeli classical music scene, and his music gradually took on a more Jewish or generally Middle Eastern character. The first piece on this program, the Piano Quartet in C minor, Op. 4, was written while Ben-Haim was still in Germany and had no thought of leaving, shows no traces of this process and is probably the strongest work on the program. It is a chamber work in the idiom of Richard Strauss, with broad heroic themes almost immediately dissolving into extreme chromatic complications. It's a stirring youthful work with which chamber groups would do well to familiarize themselves. The rest of the program shows Ben-Haim struggling to merge this German language in which he was educated...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Chandos
- UPC: 095115176924