More Than Refuge: Changing Responses To Domestic Violence
Women's refuges in the 1970s were lonely voices speaking out about violence in the home. They provided crisis accommodation, and refuge staff worked with women to empower them to take control of their lives. But refuges did more than deliver these important services: they worked to politicize domestic violence. Politicians and bureaucrats began to take notice from the 1980s and, over time, service responses have improved. Significantly, too, women's tolerance of violence has decreased. In this book, Suellen Murray traces these changing responses to domestic violence, using Nardine Women's Refuge in Western Australia as a case study. She also reminds us that domestic violence flourishes within an environment of unequal gender power relationships and that, for this reason, its elimination will take more than refuge.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Uwa Pub
- ISBN-13: 9781876268831
- ISBN: 1876268832
- Publication Year: 2003