Mental Health Law: Major Issues
THE CORE OF MENTAL HEALTH LAW A musty file in Arizona's Greenlee County Courthouse reveals that on January 22, 1912, shortly before Arizona became a state, a 19-year-old Mexican-American woman residing in Morenci was taken into custody and placed in the county jail by a deputy sheriff who, that same day, filed with the Greenlee County Probate Court the following commit ment petition: Have known girl about one year. Last summer-July or Aug. 19- commenced to act irrational. Has been under treatment of physicians past 4 months. They called me this A.M. and told me they were unable to treat her successfully-that she is crazy and I must arrest her. The proposed patient was apparently examined the next day by two physicians, who duly completed the required medical questionnaire. In addition to mentioning that the patient's physical health was good, that she was "cleanly" in her personal habits, that she did not use liquor, tobacco, or drugs, and that neither she nor any of her relatives had ever been mentally ill or hospitalized in the past, the doctors listed the follow ing information on those portions of the form devoted to mental illness and dangerousness: Dangerousness: No threats or attempts to commit suicide or murder. Is of a very happy temperament. Has a tendency to laugh and sing. Facts indicating insanity: She wanted to dance. Most of conversation was fairly rational.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Kluwer Academic Pub
- ISBN-13: 9780306405389
- ISBN: 0306405385
- Publication Year: 1981