This new and greatly revised edition of Professor Chandrasekhar's classic book Liquid Crystals (1977) presents a systematic and self-contained treatment of the physics of the different types of thermotropic liquid crystals--the three classical types, nematic, cholosteric and smectic, composed of rod-shaped molecules, and the newly discovered discotic type composed of disc-shaped molecules. The coverage includes a description of the structures of these four main types and their polymorphic modifications, their thermodynamical, optical and mechanical properties and their behavior under external fields. The basic principles underlying the major applications of liquid crystals in display technology (for example, the twisted and super-twisted nematic devices, the surface stabilized ferroelectric device, etc.) and in thermography are also discussed.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB Mayfield Heights
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Cambridge Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780521427418
- ISBN: 052142741X
- Publication Year: 1992
- Edition: 2