Jan Van Eyck's Arnolfini Portrait: Stories Of An Icon
This book examines, from a variety of perspectives, the Arnolfini Wedding Portrait, one of the earliest and most celebrated paintings in the history of European art. In her lucid analysis, Linda Seidel considers the famous double portrait as social record, legal document, material object and poetic fiction. Each chapter of her study represents a distinct mode of inquiry and situates the painting within a different discursive tradition. In this way, Seidel explores a variety of historical practices - marital, economic and artisanal, to cite only a few - to illuminate the portrait's painted narrative. Among the issues Seidel contemplates are the painting's status as authenticating sign, the significance of the female subject, and the painting's 'after-life' as touchstone for later artists and writers. Through the implementation of a variety of interpretive strategies and in consultation with different types and categories of information, this book informs the viewer about the function and nature of early European painting, and invites the reader to reflect on the many ways in which works of art can be examined and reconfigured centuries after their creation.
- Condition: New
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: HPB.com
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Cambridge Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780521484879
- ISBN: 0521484871
- Publication Year: 1995