In The World: Essays On Contemporary South African Art
In the World presents a collection of essays by Cape Town cultural analyst and art critic Ashraf Jamal focused on 24 South African artists working in painting, photography, sculpture and performance. Aimed at a wide, international audience, the texts reconfigure the national narrative of South African art within a broader African and global context. From identity politics to the boom of "African art" in a global contemporary art market, Jamal explores a variety of issues at the heart of South African art practice.Artists discussed include Ed Young, Khaya Witbooi, Mary Sibande, Ricky Dyaloyi, Kate Gottgens, Georgina Gratrix, Nigel Mullins, Anton Kannemeyer, Pieter Hugo, Zanele Muholi, Mohau Modisakeng, Thania Petersen, Jaco Roux, Sam Nhlengethwa, Conrad Botes, Paul Edmunds, Francois Knoetze, Simphiwe Ndzube, Robin Rhode, Kemang Wa Lehulere, Wim Botha, Beth Diane Armstrong, Esther Mahlangu and Tony Gum.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Skira
- ISBN-13: 9788857235639
- ISBN: 8857235637
- Publication Year: 2018