Illustrious Illuminations: Christian Manuscripts From The High Gothic To The High Renaissance 1250?1540
"Illustrious Illuminations" presents a selection of illuminated Christian manuscripts from the McCarthy Collection. Ranging in date from the High Gothic to the High Renaissance (1250-1540), the miniature paintings give evidence of the talent and culture connected to the art of book illustration. Many of the vibrant hand-copied volumes contain some of the finest illustrations ever produced across Europe, well before Johannes Gutenberg introduced the printing press around 1454. These particular illustrations were chosen from Bibles, books of hours and psalters in order to exemplify a shift in style, from Gothic to Renaissance lines, which likewise was apparent in the architecture and paintings produced under the auspices of the Church. The often harder, more contrasting, lines of the Gothic give way to the Renaissance's altogether natural contours, as well as to softer and increasingly personal facial features.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Hong Kong Univ Pr
- ISBN-13: 9789881902344
- ISBN: 9881902347
- Publication Year: 2016
- Edition: Bilingual