Gilbert & Sullivan: Hms Pinafore; Trial By Jury
Malcolm Sargent recorded nine Gilbert and Sullivan operettas in productions based on performances at the Glyndebourne Festival in the late '50s and early '60s, and this version of H.M.S. Pinafore is among his most successful efforts. Sargent's reading is notable for its typically nuanced attention to details of the score, and the performances by his soloists here are especially strong. The romantic leads in particular are more convincing than in many of the other recordings in the series. As Josephine, Elsie Morison sounds fresher and more the innocent ing?nue than in some of her other Gilbert and Sullivan roles; her tone is clean and bright and her performance is completely convincing. Richard Lewis brings more of a heroic timbre and bearing to Ralph Rackstraw than he does to many of his other romantic leading roles. Monica Sinclair is impressive as an amusingly stalwart Buttercup. The other male leads -- John Cameron as Captain Corcoran, George Baker as Joseph Porter, and Owen Brannigan as Dick...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Warner Classics (USA)
- UPC: 5099921343322