Harpo Speaks... About New York
Long before vaudeville, Broadway, and the silver screen, Harpo Marx had triumphed on the greatest stage of all: New York City. For a kid on the streets in 1902, every day demanded wit and improvisation. Beyond the door of the tenement at 179 East 93rd Street lay rival gangs, lucky breaks, failed hustles. While his mother, Minnie, was occupied elsewhere planning her unruly brood's ultimate destiny Harpo roamed the streets doing what any self-respecting second-grade dropout would: grabbing the family's one left-foot skate and heading to Central Park, preparing for the bonfires of a Tammany election night, and hopping on the El to watch the Gods in Valhalla which is to say, the New York Giants in the Polo Grounds. With an unforgettable cast of characters, and set against turn-of-the-century Manhattan, Harpo Speaks . . . About New York overflows with the optimism and sweetness of the kid who, on the off-chance that Sandy Claus just might remember him, never forgot to hang his stocking in the airshaft on Christmas Eve.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Random House Inc
- ISBN-13: 9781892145062
- ISBN: 1892145065
- Publication Year: 2001