Gilbert & Sullivan: The Pirates Of Penzance [1968 Recording]
This is a reissue of a very well-performed and fun-filled recording from 1968 by the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, which includes the dialog. The cast and chorus bring out the humor of the operetta by taking their parts seriously. The dialog is not delivered with the singsong, exaggerated sentiment found in some of the other D'Oyly Carte recordings. The stars of the performance are Valerie Masterson, who has no difficulty handling the coloratura flights in "Poor Wand'ring One," and John Reed as the Major-General, who recites his model characteristics with aplomb and not so speedily as to turn it into nonsense. Philip Potter as Frederic, Donald Adams as the Pirate King, and Christene Palmer as Ruth round out the cast. This is the last recording conductor Isidore Godfrey made with the company, retiring shortly afterward, having been its music director for 39 years. He makes Pirates sound more like grand opera than light opera. One minor regret is that in transferring the recording, it was not possible to...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Decca
- UPC: 028947365020