Gilbert & Sullivan: The Pirates Of Penzance
Malcolm Sargent was music director of the D'Oyly Carte Company in the 1920s, so he brings real authority to recordings of the Gilbert and Sullivan operettas from productions at the Glyndebourne Festival in the late '50s and early '60s. The Pirates of Penzance includes some of Sullivan's best work. It not only tweaks the conventions of grand opera, but some of the music transcends the parody element and has a lyricism that would not be out of place in "serious" continental opera. The arias "Oh, is there not one maiden breast," and "Poor wandering one," are especially lovely. With a consistently strong cast, his 1961 performance of The Pirates is one of the finest in the Glyndebourne series. Elsie Morison, who plays the heroine in all the recordings, is at her best here, singing with brightness, warmth, and fullness. The work also elicits tenor Richard Lewis' most lyrical, sustained, and heroic singing. Contralto Monica Sinclair brings her usual comic panache and vocal power to the role of Ruth. Baritone...
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: HPB Mansfield
- Seller rating:
- Label: EMI Music Distribution
- UPC: 077776440927