Gender In Physical Culture: Crossing Boundaries Reconstituting Cultures
This volume outlines existing research relating to gender in physical culture. The introductory chapter employs Lamont and Molnar's (2002) idea of `boundaries' as visible and invisible socially constructed borders that create social differences, as the theoretical framework for the book. Seven empirically-driven case studies follow which, on the one hand, demonstrate how boundary `work' has taken and is taking place at the level of media, institutions, communities and individuals; and on the other hand, show how individuals, groups of individuals and organisations challenge and change dominant gender discourses and practices. The wide variety of rich case materials reveal how gender ideals not only normalize, but are actively and purposefully negotiated and transformed to create individualised and inclusive physical culture contexts. The final chapter explores how the book builds on and extends existing gender and physical culture research. This book was originally published as a special issue of the journal Sport in Society.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Routledge
- ISBN-13: 9780367142605
- ISBN: 0367142600
- Publication Year: 2019