Four Contemporary Plays
South Korean drama has received considerable attention in Europe and Asia, but, until recently, received only scant attention in the United States. This anthology contains early works (1989-1993) by one of Korea's leading theatre artists. These works reflect the nature of Lee Yun-Taek's genius, his contributions to contemporary Korean theatre, and the socio-political climate in South Korea during the release of his early works. They are indeed "brief chronicles of their time."The plays, Citizen K; O-Gu: A Ceremony of Death; Mask of Fire: Ceremony of Power; and The Dummy Bride: A Ceremony of Love, are a collection that illuminates such polarities as purity/depravity, madness/reason, power/impotence, life/death, and freedom/oppression. These polarities are clearly Korean in form and substance, but their subject matter and motifs are universal. An introductory essay addresses particular aspects of each drama with extensive notes accompanying each play, which include information about Korean society, culture, and history.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Univ Pr of Amer
- ISBN-13: 9780761837039
- ISBN: 0761837035
- Publication Year: 2007