Dictionary Of Eastern Christianity
Containing nearly 700 articles, this Dictionary allows the reader to explore Eastern Christian civilization in its cultural and religious richness. The articles are written by an international team of fifty contributors, including leading historians, theologians, linguists, philosophers, musicians, and scholars of liturgy and iconography.The Dictionary covers the major living traditions of Eastern Christianity and some which are less familiar. It offers balanced treatment of Byzantine traditions (Greek, Slav, Romanian, Georgian) and the Oriental traditions (Armenian, Assyrian, Coptic, Ethiopian, Syrian, Indian), taking account of Orthodox, Catholic and Reformed communities. Both communities in their original homelands and the diaspora, exile and convert communities worldwide are considered. The articles present Eastern traditions not simply in terms of Western Christian interests and a Western view of Christian history, but in terms that Eastern Christians will recognize.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Inc
- ISBN-13: 9780631189664
- ISBN: 0631189661
- Publication Year: 1999