Diamonds Are Dangerous: Stories From The Early Days In Namaqualand 1925 1960
Diamonds have become one of the world's most valuable natural commodities. As gems, no other geological creation can compete with this versatile mineral. But diamonds also create individual and social problems when they are removed from their natural resting places. Some people say that diamonds are moody and disruptive, blaming them for all kinds of misfortune. Others speak of the luck diamonds bring them in their lives.The core of this book lies in the eighteen stories about IDB (Illicit Diamond Buying). These are presented as vignettes of varied lengths, introducing the reader to a variety of "cops and robbers" techniques used. Most of these IDB thefts take place in the DeBeers alluvial diamond mining areas and towns which remain fenced off from the outside world.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Author Solutions
- ISBN-13: 9781425741273
- ISBN: 1425741274
- Publication Year: 2007