Creative Tensions: An Introduction To Seventeenth Century French Literature
The primary aim of this book is to provide an introduction, principally for students but also for the general reader, to 17th-century French writing. Nicholas Hammond shows in eight vignettes what made this period a golden age of French drama, philosophy, and creativity. He argues that, rather than acting as a stranglehold, the rules of the time propelled artistic creativity to exceptional heights, releasing a sensitivity to language and wit which has not been rivalled since. The book deals in particular with the "Querelles des anciens et modernes", Pascal and the Jesuits, literary forms, gender, transvestism and homosexuality, showing how these contributed to the creative tension of the age.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Academic
- ISBN-13: 9780715628010
- ISBN: 0715628011
- Publication Year: 1997