The Complete Gilbert & Sullivan
The D'Oyly Carte Company made two stereo recordings of the major Gilbert and Sullivan operettas in the 1960s and '70s, plus at least one of the minor ones. The recordings in this box set of re-issues were selected so that John Reed, reigning baritone at the time, appears in all the principal comedian roles. His patter isn't very rapid, but his characterizations are amusing. To please either everyone or no one, some of the operas were recorded complete with dialog (e.g. The Pirates of Penzance) and some with no dialog (e.g. The Mikado). The dialog is on the same track as the musical number preceding it, which means you can't program your CD player to skip it. In most of these performances, there is an overall sense that everyone is pretending, rather than acting. Dialog is delivered with slightly exaggerated emotion or attitude and in a somewhat singsong manner, showing off the lighthearted nature of the works. Although all of the company members are talented, listen especially for principals Valerie...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Decca
- UPC: 028947363125