This graduate-level text presents an encyclopedic account of the mathematical theory and problem-solving techniques associated with enumeration problems. Its approach blends combinatorial and algebraic ideas to offer insights into a wide variety of problems, and each section of the book focuses on a specific discrete structure, advancing from elementary (often classical) results to those at research level. Subjects include the combinatorics of the ordinary generating function and the exponential generating function, the combinatorics of sequences, and the combinatorics of paths. The text is complemented by approximately 350 exercises with full solutions. 1983 edition. Foreword by Gian-Carlo Rota. References. Index.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Dover Pubns
- ISBN-13: 9780486435978
- ISBN: 0486435970
- Publication Year: 2004