Nina!: The Nina Simone Collection
For an artist who recorded on numerous labels throughout her career, Nina Simone did experience one of her most creative periods while at RCA between 1967 and 1974. This compilation reflects those years quite well. Included here are the definitive live version "To Be Young, Gifted and Black," her more mature readings of "I Loves You Porgy" and "My Man's Gone Now," striking takes on popular songs such as Jerry Jeff Walker's "Mr. Bojangles," Barry Gibb's "To Love Somebody," bluesy interpretations of Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released," and "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues," and a transcendent read of the Byrds' "Turn, Turn, Turn." Also included here are live versions of "Backlash Blues," "Gin House Blues," and "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl" from the stellar Black Gold album. As single-label comps go, for the price and the sound, this one is tough to beat. ~ Thom Jurek, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Sony Music
- UPC: 886979126923