Sugar Blues: A Tribute To Joseph "King" Oliver
For this Stomp Off project, cornetist Christ Tyle gathered together an octet (also including cornetist Leon Oakley, trombonist John Gill, clarinetist Mike Baird and pianist Steve Pistorius) for a tribute to King Oliver. Not all of the selections were originally recorded by Oliver (including "Bugle Call Rag," "Wolverine Blues," "Maryland My Maryland," "The Pearls" and "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles") but they were all believed to have been played by Oliver's Creole Jazz Band. Certainly the sound of Chris Tyle's Silver Leaf Jazz Band is reminiscent of both Oliver's outfit and his main follower of the 1940s, Lu Watters's Yerba Buena Jazz Band. The music is well-played and easily recommended to fans of early New Orleans jazz. ~ Scott Yanow, Rovi
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Stomp Off
- UPC: 785968129825