Bob Chilcott: Chorwerke / Choral Works
This music by British composer Bob Chilcott is of the sort meant to be accessible to ordinary church and community choirs. As such, it's a great success and can be heartily recommended to choir directors in the U.S., where Chilcott is less well known than John Rutter. The program on this German release (with performances by combined Nordic and pan-European choirs) is divided in half, although there's not a specific indication of that division. The first half consists of secular music, and it's absolutely delightful: completely accessible, yet totally original in conception. The highlight is The Making of the Drum, a five-movement work with texts by Barbadian-British poet Kamau Brathwaite describing aspects of drum construction and music that embodies the resulting drum noise. It sounds cornball, but the idea is executed in such a lively way that it's hard to imagine any choir or its audience emerging unsatisfied. In the same vein is The Runner, an excerpt from a larger work called The Modern Man I...
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Mint condition or still sealed (SS). Absolutely perfect in every way. New.
- Fine/Like New (EX): No defects, little sign of use, well cared for. Plays perfectly. Close to new. Not necessarily sealed or unused, but close. Could be an unopened promotional or cut item. Sometimes called: mint-minus.
- Very Good (VG): Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
- Good (G): Attractive and well cared for, but no longer fresh. Minor signs of wear, scuffing or scratching, but will play almost perfectly. For vinyl: barely detectable crackles or pops.
- Fair (FR): This item is in okay condition. For vinyl: good is not so good and the record may have low level crackles or pops when playing. CD: one or more tracks may skip.
- Poor (P): Obviously well-worn and handled. Most vinyl collectors will not buy good or below, but some tracks on CD or vinyl will play.
- Format: Compact Disc
- Sold by: --
- Label: Bayer Records
- UPC: 4011563103424