Challenging Art: Artforum 1962 1974
In 1962 the magazine Artforum was founded on a shoestring in San Francisco to challenge the East Coast art establishment. Soon thereafter, it moved to Los Angeles, and then to New York City. Suddenly it was "the establishment", setting the terms according to which art was to be judged.Amy Newman has spent nine years interviewing the participants in this amazing critical venture -- Philip Leider, John Coplans, Rosalind E. Krauss, Michael Fried, Barbara Rose, Max Kozloff, Annette Michelson, Sidney Tillim, Robert Pincus-Witten, Peter Plagens, and Charles Cowles, as well as Lucy Lippard and John Baldessari, among others -- about their backgrounds, their views on art, and their disagreements with one another. In their own words, they tell us what motivated them as arbiters of our culture and how they view their accomplishment in retrospect.This inside look at an astonishing cultural phenomenon is an intriguing read for a lay audience and an essential source of information for artists, students, and critics.
- Condition: Used - Good
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: HPB Flagship
- Seller rating:
- Language: English
- Publisher: Soho Pr Inc
- ISBN-13: 9781569472071
- ISBN: 1569472076
- Publication Year: 2000