Caldo Verde Is Not Stone Soup: Persons, Names, Words, And Proverbs In Portuguese America
"The essays in Caldo Verde is Not Duck Soup identify elements of an emerging Portuguese American culture in the United States. It tackles subjects and themes that reflect the richness and diversity of that culture. Included are analyses of the Portuguesefondness for nicknames over surnames, pejorative terms ('portugee,' 'Gee'), beau ideal heroes (John Philip Sousa, John Dos Passos, and Peter Francisco), now forgotten early emigrants, foreign visitors to the Azores (Samuel Longfellow and Thomas WentworthHigginson), proverbs from the oral and literary traditions, the Portuguese sailor on American ships, and the saga of English How She is Spoke, a serious-minded textbook that became a comic phenomenon"--Provided by publisher.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Peter Lang Pub Inc
- ISBN-13: 9781433138102
- ISBN: 1433138107
- Publication Year: 2017